Members banned from this thread: RobD, Budz86, ray007, suprageek, zach42o1, Caesard, msmile, Reyft, Sausage and Dzowani

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I?

Feedback
    1 (100%)

Should I?

I've owned a UK spec Supra 19 years now. The Interiors seen better days, the blitz Z1's need a refurbishment, unique bodykit is pristine, however. Ultimately the UK's are getting sought after and I don't get to use the old girl much and when I do i'ts most certainty not for the intended purpose. I am seriously wondering if the 'ole girl deserves a better and higher budget owner than I can provide. she costs me less than 1k year to keep on the driveway waiting to arse-milla an M5, I guess the 'Real' question is, am I too old to bother anymore, should I make way for the up an coming generation that appreciate these cars how I once did.
    '96 UK Auto TT + other stuff. Celebrating 130K miles behind the wheel and STILL loving it

comfortably numb Club Member peter richards's Avatar
    Feedback
    115 (100%)
    never to old , chances are youll sell it and itl get stripped and sold in bits , been here for years and the site is just a sales place now or that's how it feels
    94 j spec tt gz with a scoop, TTE/ lexus gs 300 sport alloys , uk front brakes ,trd strut brace, pioneer p77mp
    oem supra low spoiler
    my web site www.eclipse-auto-valet.co.uk
    QUALITY CAR CARE PM ME FOR PRICES

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    There are a few of us who have grown old with the cars who don't do the miles they once did in their Supra, so long as you can still stoop in and roll out then its still a fun drive.

These cars though, especially driveway cars, are starting to get the full on rust bug on the rear end underside so unless you have a rare one that hasn't got anything untoward going on you may as well seriously consider moving it on as it will likely need some serious money spent on it some time in the not too distant future. Its always easier to sell while the market is on the rise so its a good time for anyone seeing to cash in and you'd likely get back pretty close to what you paid for it 19 years ago. If you retained any of the original pre-body kit parts they will add lots of value to.

PS - Took my Supra out for a drive today for the first time since taking it off SORN and it was good to be back in the drivers seat. Maybe the cars just need to be driven more to be enjoyed more? That said, I've just finished giving it a polish, then wiped the brake dust off the wheels and put it back under its dust sheet till next time whenever the next time happens to be.
    Last edited by rider; 06-04-19 at 17:31.

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    Op can I just ask how many miles you've done in those years and what issues you've had with the car, always just curious about this with long term owners and you don't get much more long term than you!
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

What search button? Club Member formatzero's Avatar
    Feedback
    I would say unless it's a needs must sale,hold on to it.I have had N/A Supra's which I now wish I had held on to.If you have something that means a lot to you then keep it,i have a guitar I nearly sold when times were tough but now have owned it for 40 years boy am I glad I never sold it.

Work... what work? Club Member XIL007's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Last year I did only 200 miles in mine. But I would not sell it as I am sure that I would miss it. I’ve had several supras since 2004 so I am used to having one

Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Nice car have you got any more pictures of the car ? Love a candy paint job !
    95' Black TT6 UK Spec . UK spec Supra register LINK if you have a UK spec send me a pm or post on the thread

Feedback
    1 (100%)
    It's not proper custom candy anymore. Had a woman back into it a couple of years ago and after a 22 month fight the old girl got resprayed in the new mazda soul red (production candy). It's not as nice as house of colour but not too shabby. If only the insurance company had argued further It would be in the latest mazda red which is darker an much nicer. sod's law. To answer an earlier question, I bought the car at 72k, so I've done 133k behind the wheel, 5+ times around the world and every receipt down to the last wiper blade. Failed me once cos I didn't tighten up the battery terminal enough, so a whole 10 min delay that time and impromptu hand signals on the dual carriageway.

Breezed through an MOT again... I'm determined to get some use out of her this year and have managed over a hundred miles this year already. There's not many things on this planet without silicone implants that put such a smile on my face as this but none with such a low yearly outlay .

BTW, what's the guitar formatzero?, Sunburst Fender Strat here. Always wanted a Gibson electric blue but out of my range now
    '96 UK Auto TT + other stuff. Celebrating 130K miles behind the wheel and STILL loving it

What search button? Club Member formatzero's Avatar
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by MLC View Post
    It's not proper custom candy anymore. Had a woman back into it a couple of years ago and after a 22 month fight the old girl got resprayed in the new mazda soul red (production candy). It's not as nice as house of colour but not too shabby. If only the insurance company had argued further It would be in the latest mazda red which is darker an much nicer. sod's law. To answer an earlier question, I bought the car at 72k, so I've done 133k behind the wheel, 5+ times around the world and every receipt down to the last wiper blade. Failed me once cos I didn't tighten up the battery terminal enough, so a whole 10 min delay that time and impromptu hand signals on the dual carriageway.

Breezed through an MOT again... I'm determined to get some use out of her this year and have managed over a hundred miles this year already. There's not many things on this planet without silicone implants that put such a smile on my face as this but none with such a low yearly outlay .

BTW, what's the guitar formatzero?, Sunburst Fender Strat here. Always wanted a Gibson electric blue but out of my range now
    Hi mate,it's a 76 Les Paul custom in wine red,gigged it for many years but now as i'm getting on a bit I find it mega heavy these days, so using an SG,still to get a Strat

I'm addicted now! Club Member herbiemercman's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Had my NA from new 22 years back, at the 19th year i transformed the machine with an NAT conversion, doubling the BHP, this made it into the "rocket ship" which has more than rekindled my joy of ownership. Herbie.

What search button? Club Member sidewaysdan's Avatar
    Feedback
    2 (100%)
    I have contemplated this same thought over the last few months. Only doing around 300 mls a year if that, it spends most of its time sleeping in the garage .
    i love my toys

Wanting more carbon Club Member The Raven's Avatar
    Feedback
    26 (100%)
    Im toying with saying bye to mine after 10 years. Lack of use is the main cause.
    Dr Jekyll
    dun worry bra. i dont insure my car either , they r all prooer muppets on ere

We all know this is true
    'Theres nothing worth doing to an NA apart from setting fire to it'

Work... what work? Club Member Tomyspeedy's Avatar
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    The way I view this problem is that imagine you sold it. Then say for whatever reason you wanted to buy another, you'd immediately regret the previous sale and would have a hard time finding another in similar or better condition without paying the inevitable premium inflation on supras.
    If you can honestly say you'd never want another or could accept the future prices/rarity of a good example then sell now.
    Hopefully the parts going back into production will keep the maintenance costs affordable and help keeping cars on the road instead of being broken.
    Better the devil you know, especially if you've got a lot of history.

Feedback
    44 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomyspeedy View Post
    The way I view this problem is that imagine you sold it. Then say for whatever reason you wanted to buy another, you'd immediately regret the previous sale and would have a hard time finding another in similar or better condition without paying the inevitable premium inflation on supras.
    If you can honestly say you'd never want another or could accept the future prices/rarity of a good example then sell now.
    Hopefully the parts going back into production will keep the maintenance costs affordable and help keeping cars on the road instead of being broken.
    Better the devil you know, especially if you've got a lot of history.
    I have this question at times, especially having two, but what can you get to replace them, the values have gone up sure but so have lots of other older cars and there is still little that grabs me as an overall package.

To anyone not using theirs, why? dust it off and use it, do something or go somewhere you've not been before, or tinker/tlc with it. If after that your interest still wanes then I think it's perhaps time to let it go, it you can't find the enthusiasm for it then you can legitimately question if it's worth keeping.
    Number 8 ...........doing my best to keep
    Number 9 ........been and gone!
    Number 10 ........on its way

Me? Post? Never! Club Member
    Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    To anyone not using theirs, why? dust it off and use it, do something or go somewhere you've not been before, or tinker/tlc with it. If after that your interest still wanes then I think it's perhaps time to let it go, it you can't find the enthusiasm for it then you can legitimately question if it's worth keeping.
    It probably is a case of getting it out and about a bit more. When i took my car over to get its alignment some 60 miles from home which is a long way for the car these days, it's amazing how much other people get joy out of seeing a Supra out and about. I had one young guy wind down his window alongside me at a roundabout telling me to take good care of the car with it being a real classic icon. I had a good number of thumbs up from drivers coming the other way. Then at the B&B I stayed at, the son of the hosts said they get loads of Porsche owners staying (attending the same chassis tune place I was visiting the next day), there was even a 911 GT3 there the week before but he loved the Supra. Sat in it, drooled over the 2JZ and said it was the best car to have ever parked up at the B&B. That's high praise coming from a Scooby owner.

Boys of all ages love the Supra. That's why I take the MGB roadster out lots, the ladies absolutely love that car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast